S/R #2

Friday, September 26, 2008

Synthesis: The veil is a highly personal and complex symbol that 'the west' has generally oversimplified and misread, and contributes to Islamic women's complicated role in western societies.

Response: Having lived in Malaysia, an Islamic state, for three years in elementary school, I became accustomed to seeing women wearing the hijab, and going about their personal and professional lives wearing it. Likewise, I saw women choosing to go about their lives without it. I became accustomed to it, and particularly loved our school's main desk receptionist's headscarves. Umi was an incredibly sweet, beautiful women with a heart shaped faced set off beautifully by the hijab. Usually she wore one, but some days she would go without one. Even with her lovely hair, I still remember thinking she looked even prettier with a headscarf. So in some ways, I came into this weeks discussion with a bit less of stigma associated with the veil then some others, though in no way was I without any. Indeed, I harbored plenty of "Veil=Oppression" stigma in regard to the burkha, something I had always considered very different than the hijab... an idea that has been unraveling a bit this week.
What has been very striking to me in these articles and videos we have studied this week is the incredible variety among Islamic women in the reasons they choose to wear (or not to wear) a veil of some kind. Looking at these reasons, ranging from fashion to rebellion to freedom, it's clear that the West has certainly oversimplified the "message" regarding the veil in thinking it purely represents oppression of women. Nor Faridah Abdul Manaf references this in her poem, saying "The veil is who I am." However, the western view is in some ways making the veil too complicated, as Nouha al Hejailan illustrates saying "[Taking off the abbayah and veil] wouldn't mean as much to me as it does to you."
However, I think this misappropriation of value is not hard to understand. It is clear to me that women's rights are being violated in many societies where veiling is normal. Consequently, it's easy to make into a cause and result situation, though our readings and words from many women who choose to wear the veil show that this is not the case. Concern for these rights, violated by such things as 'honor crimes', should be the key issue in many (though not all) societies in which veiling is common, and these rights will not be achieved/defended by attempting to abolish the veil.
Abandoning this approach in itself will promote women's rights, actually, in their right to wear the veil. This is especially important in society's where veiling is uncommon, such as... The USA! That women should face discrimination, and oppression, even, for wearing the veil in our society is so paradoxical, but unfortunately is the case. By recognizing the veil as part of a woman's personal identity and not an indication of their position in regard to men is vital for the overall cause of women's rights all over the world.

0 comments: